Higher Heights is building a national infrastructure to harness Black women’s political power and leadership potential. Headquartered in New York, Higher Heights for America and its sister organization Higher Heights Leadership Fund (a national 501(c)(4) and 501 (c)(3), respectively) is investing in a long-term strategy to analyze, expand and support a leadership pipeline for Black women at all levels and that strengthens their civic participation beyond just Election Day.
Higher Heights is embarking on an ambitious strategy to build the organization's base of support and elevate Black women’s voices to shape and advance progressive policies and politics through innovative programming. The Communications and Social Media Intern will work with Higher Heights’ leadership to design and execute projects to strategize and support a rapidly growing national organization.
The Communications and Social Media Intern will be involved in the social media campaign planning and responsible for its implementation including; managing the website; monitoring and engaging constituents on various social media platforms; and providing day-to-day support for the organization’s online campaigns. He/She will assist in the development of content across mediums including a blog series aimed at engaging more Black women online in a dialogue on progressive public policy and politics.
Duties include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Drafting, editing and posting content for social media posts.
- Creating thought-provoking graphics and memes.
- Researching, designing and implementing strategies to increase Higher Heights’ online presence.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Familiarity with Facebook and Twitter social media campaigns.
- Proficient in social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Tumblr.
- Ability to write succinct and engaging copy.
- Ability to work independently.
This unpaid internship is appropriate for academic credit. The ideal candidate is seeking opportunities to apply their skills to a work experience. Preferred majors include Communications, Marketing, Political Science, and Women’s Studies. Students of color and women are encouraged to apply.
Please submit resume, cover letter and sample language for Tweets and Facebook posts in Microsoft Word or PDF format to: Info@higherheightsforamerica.org.