State Organizer - (Georgia, Ohio)
Higher Heights for America (Higher Heights) is building a national infrastructure to harness Black women’s political power and leadership potential. Higher Heights is investing in a long-term strategy to analyze, expand and support a Black women’s leadership pipeline at all levels and strengthen their civic participation beyond just Election Day.
Higher Heights is seeking full-time, temporary organizers in Georgia and Ohio who will serve a critical role in the execution of a 2014 civic engagement pilot project. The project will engage and organize Black women in select communities in a variety of on and offline activities leading up to and beyond the 2014. Organizers will be the main point of contact for volunteers and project partners and will report directly to the National Director. Organizers will;
- Recruit, train, and support volunteer leaders through recruitment phone calls, one on one meetings and organization meetings.
- Coordinate and collaborate with local partners and volunteer leaders to organize salon conversations, phone banks and other project events and activities as directed.
- Develop strategic alliances with community allies to advance project goals.
- Participate in staff conference calls, complete daily and weekly reports on progress and successfully meet deadlines.
- College or equivalent professional experience;
- Previous experience in community organizing, grassroots advocacy or electoral campaigns required;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and experience preparing and delivering public presentations;
- Well organized and self-motivated with the ability to solve problems creatively and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced, campaign work environment;
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
- Available to work long hours, including evenings and weekends;
- Must possess a valid U.S. driver's license, auto insurance and a reliable automobile, for business use.
This is a full-time temporary position and compensation is commensurate with experience.
Send an email to the attention of L. Joy Williams, National Director at email@example.com Indicate which state you are applying for and include “HHFA Organizer + Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Higher Heights for America is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.